About Me

Hi! I'm Becca Fitzpatrick, the author of the internationally bestselling HUSH, HUSH saga. When not writing, I'm most likely running, prowling sale racks for shoes (stilettos, please!), or enjoying one of life's many little indulgences: Ice cream, Veronica Mars, losing myself in a book, painting my toenails, or simply daydreaming. I do my best to update this blog as frequently as possible with news on upcoming events, tips for writers, and all things pertaining to my books.

11 July 2012


Another reader question. This one from @HeffronRusher: What's your favorite thing about writing? What keeps you inspired? 

These are good questions. And they have tricky answers—tricky, because they are always changing. But, in general, I would say my favorite thing about writing is creating the first draft of a story. When I'm writing the initial draft, I don't worry if the plot has holes. I don't worry if I properly show my characters' motivations. I don't worry if readers won't like my characters' flaws, and judge them harshly because of those flaws. I just...write. It's a lot of fun, and it's stress-free. During this phase, I do a lot of giggling, groaning, squealing, and dancing in my chair. I don't think about revisions. I simply...go to town.

As for what keeps me inspired? Life. Going out into the world and doing stuff. Lots of different stuff. Trying new things, even when they scare me. Hanging out with people I adore. Listening to smart, witty and engaging speakers. Going to a concert and listening to really good music. Playing made-up games with my kids at the park. Going to a restaurant and ordering appetizers, a main dish, and dessert. And eating it all. Eavesdropping on conversations. Reading a book that makes me laugh. That makes me cry. That makes me think, “Man, I wish I'd written that.” Going to an amusement park and searching out the scariest ride. Running. Hiking. Swimming. Making banana spits. Watching the perfect movie. (Ahem, Romancing the Stone.) 

Being alive inspires me. I steal from my personal life all the time, and put that content into my books. I steal from my friends' lives. I people-watch. I try to sponge up everything I can. 

It's pretty darn inspiring.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Becca!! I'm in love with your books and can not wait until the finale book comes out!!!! Thank you for taking the time to fascinate everyone with your incredible books!!! Thank you so much!!!!

P.S. It would mean the world to me if you replied :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca Fitzpatrick said...

Hi Mallory! Thanks so much for the kind words. Hope you love FINALE :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!! You replied!! I just had like a mini heart attack!! Thank you so much!!